Books About Storytelling
- Awakening the Hidden Storyteller by Robin Moore. Shambhala, 1991.
- Creative Storytelling by Jack Maguire. Yellow Moon Press, 1992
- Just Enough to Make a Story by Nancy Schimmel. Sister’s Choice, 1992.
- The Power of Story by Rives Collins and Pamela Cooper. Waveland Pr. Inc. 2nd Ed. 2005
- Way of the Storyteller by Ruth Sawyer. Penguin, 1977
The stories in these collections will not have to be adapted for telling orally as must be done with many literary stories. Some of the collections listed are out of print and will be available only at libraries. All books listed have bibliographies that will guide you further in your search for the stories you want to tell.
- Apples from Heaven by Naomi Baltuck. Linnet Books, 1995.
- Crazy Gibberish by Naomi Baltuck. Linnet Books, 1997.
- Moral of the Story by Bobby and Sherry Norfolk. August House, 1999.
- More Ready to Tell Tales by David Holt and Bill Mooney. August House, 2000.
- Native American Animal Stories by Joseph Bruchac. Fulcrum Publishing, 1992.
- Once Upon a Time…Storytelling to Teach Character and Prevent Bullying by Elisa Davy Pearmain. Character Development Group, 2006.
- Peace Tales by Margaret Read MacDonald. August House, 2005.
- Pete Seeger’s Storytelling Book by Pete Seeger and Paul Dubois Jacobs. Harvest Books, 2001.
- Ready to Tell Tales by David Holt and Bill Mooney. August House, 1994.
- Shake It Up Tales by Margaret Read MacDonald. August House, 2000.
- Spinning Tales, Weaving Hope: Stories, Storytelling and Activities for Peace, Justice and the Environment. Ed. Ed Brody. New Society Publishers, 2002.
- Stories of Hope and Spirit, Folktales of Eastern Europe by Dan Keding. August House, 2004.
- Tell It Again, Easy to Tell Stories for Young Children by Shirley Raines and Rebecca Isbell. Gryphon House, 1999.
- Twenty Tellable Tales by Margaret Read MacDonald. American Library Association November, 2004.
- Who’s Afraid? by Norma J Livo. Teacher’s Ideas Press, 1994
- With a Whoop and a Holler by Nancy Van Laan. Atheneum, 1998.