These documents are the basis for Spellbinders® decisions and actions and knit the Spellbinders Resource Center and all the Chapters together.
We, the members of Spellbinders®, are volunteers who love storytelling and embrace the joy and power of stories. We believe that oral storytelling:
- Is a natural avenue to help children develop literacy skills by engendering a love of stories, both oral and written.
- Builds connections between generations, eye-to-eye and heart-to-heart.
- Shares the wisdom, values, humor and sense of community embodied in stories of all cultures throughout time.
- Fosters awareness of the importance of virtues such as mutual respect, integrity, perseverance, empathy and cooperation.
Through the art of oral storytelling, Spellbinders® enhances literacy, encourages character development, and builds intergenerational community.
- Our storytellers freely choose stories with knowledge of and respect for the audience and our organization.
- Our storytellers strive to serve as role models of respect, tolerance, empathy and compassion.
- Our storytellers share their gifts most effectively in small classroom or community settings.
- Our storytellers and organization engage in practices that ensure a safe and respectful environment for themselves and their listeners.
- Our storytellers are trained according to the Spellbinders Workshop Training Manual© by trainers certified by the Spellbinders Resource Center.
- Our storytellers take responsibility for their growth as storytellers.
- Our organization helps members improve their storytelling skills.
- Our Spellbinders Resource Center facilitates communication among all parts of the organization.
- Our Spellbinders Resource Center, Chapters and individual storytellers share best practices and talents with each other to strengthen the entire organization.
- Our Executive Director, the Council of Trustees, Chapter Leaders and their appointed Chapter members are the designated spokespeople for the organization.
- Our spokespeople and storytellers represent Spellbinders in ways that are consistent with the Preamble, Purpose and Principles of the organization.
- Official Spellbinders Chapters organize and govern in ways that are consistent with the Preamble, Purpose and Principles.
- Our decisions fairly represent the diversity of affected interests; no individual, Chapter, or interest dominates.
- Our organization respects and safeguards the privacy of our members’ personal data in accordance with internal policy and/or as required by law.
- Our Spellbinders Resource Center, Chapters and individual storytellers comply with all state and federal laws, including those that protect our charitable status.
- Our organization does not discriminate against any individual or group and welcomes the gift of diversity.
- Each part of our organization commits to ongoing improvement through the collection and evaluation of data that demonstrates the scope and effectiveness of our work.
- Our organization strives to establish effective relationships with local school districts.
- Our organization seeks effective relationships with other potential community partners that help us realize our Preamble, Purpose and Principles, such as libraries, service organizations, and senior centers.
- Each part of our organization assumes primary responsibility for securing financial and other resources sufficient to meet its own needs.
- The Resource Center’s financial support comes from donations, grants, fees and Chapters.
- Our organization is committed to operating with efficiency, accountability and transparency.